TUAM, A Chronicle Through History, -
Its Church, Its
|1049||Tuam was made a seat of government by the High King O'Connor, of Connaught|
|1152||Tuam and Dublin, at the Synod of Kells, were elevated to Archbishopric and that Synod established the diocesan system in Ireland. While at the same time moving the Primacy of Ireland from Canterbury to Armagh, where it remains today.|
|1184|| Most of the Cathedral of St Mary at Tuam was burned, but the
Chancel section was all that remained.
|1209||The Diocese of Mayo merged with Tuam. Although not formally recognized by Rome until a Papal Degree in 1631|
|1230|| The conquering Normans in Connaught turned Tuam into the ecclesiastical
seat of western Ireland.
Simon MacCraith served as Archbishop of Tuam this year
|1232-1237||Jocelin the Cistercian, was Archbishop of Tuam. He died in Florence this year (1237), on his way home from Rome.|
|1251||Gilla Crist O Lachtnair, Abbot of the Trinity at Tuaim, was drowned in the Irish Sea.|
Archbishop of Tuaim, Floren Mag Flainn, crossed over (the Sea) to
interview the King of England
Flann Mac Flainn, Archbishop of Tuaim, died at Bristol (same as above?)
|1258||Walter de Salerna Archbishop of Tuaim and the great Dean of London, died in England this year. He was appointed by the King, as Archbishop to Tuaim in 1257.|
O Conchobair assembled a great host and plundered Galls of West Connacht,
burning all their towns and corn and killing many. After he made these
raids he sent his cheiftain and princes into South Connacht and plundered
the country-side from Tuiam to Athlone, killing everyone in between these
|1264||Peace followed this year between the Galls and Gaels of Ireland|
|1266||Tomas O Mailchonaire, Archdeacon of Tuaim, rested in Christ.|
|1279||Tomaltach, son of Toirrdelbach, son of Mailsechlainn O Conchobair, Archbishop of Tuaim, formost in all Ireland for wisdom and learning, bounty and nobility for benighity and for bestowing valuables and treasures on the people at large, died this year after triumph and repentance.|
|1288||Stephen de Fulburn (formally Bishop of Waterford) Archbishop of Tuaim and Justicair of Ireland, died|
|1290||William or Uilliam Mac Feorais assumed the archbishopric of Tuaim.|
Mac Feorais Archbishop of Tuaim, rested.
- Malaiti Mac Aeda was elected from the See of Elphin to the archbishopric of Tuaim.
|1312-1348||Malachias Mac Aeda was Bishop of Tuam|
|1324||Diocese of KIlmacdonuagh and KIllfenora unite with the Metropolitan See of Tuam.|
|1328||Muiris O Gibillain cheif master in Ireland of law, civil and canon, an erudite philosopher and accomplished in poetry and Ogham lore, also a choral canon at Tuiam, Elphin, Achonry, Kilalla, Annadown, and Clonfert.He was an official judge for the Archdiocese, rested in Christ.|
|1355||Tuaim was burned down by Cathel Occ 9son of Cathel, son of Domnaill )and by Mc William Burke|
|1371||John O Grady Archbishop of Tuaim, head of the bounty of Ireland, rested in Christ.|
|1407||Mairchertach o Cellaig, Archbishop of Connacht eminent in all of Ireland for wisdom, charity and humanity, rested in Christ at Tuaim on the Feast of Michael.|
|1484||The Diocese of Killmacduagh and Killfenore were exempted from the Archdiocese of Tuam. The Anglo-Norman families or "tribes" as they are known of Galway town refused to accept direct control from the "wilds" of Tuam- Donat O Murray was now presiding Archbishop of Tuam.|
|1536|| Christopher Bodkin was appointed Catholic Bishop of Tuam while the
Pope appointed Arthur O Frigil to the same See. At an enquiry before the English
Cardinal Pole, in 1537, he than determined Bodkin as Bishop.
|1583||Archbishop Nicholas Skerrett of Tuam was expelled from the See.|
|1583||Protestant, Nehemiah Donnellan becomes Archbishop of Tuam|
|1602||William Daniel is appointed Archbishop of Tuam|
|1609||Nehemiah Donnellan , Bishop of Tuam dies.|
|1612||Bishop Daniels undertakes repairs of the Cathedral of Tuam.|
|1629||Florence Conry (Flaitha O Maoilchonaire) Archbishop of Tuam dies.|
|1636||The English title Crown is confirmed in December this year, over all Galway lands.|
|1639-1666||Edward Pigot, at this time is Provost at Tuam|
|1652||The New Model Army (under Cromwell) gains control of Galway in April, in a nine month siege with a force of 30,000 me|
|1716||Edward Synge was Bishop of Tuam and member of the Privy Council, while his father was Bishop of Limerick.Tuam is an "island "now under full Protestant control amongst a sea of native Catholics.|
|1729||Henry Mossop, actor, is born at Tuam|
|1756||Mark Skerret is Archbishop of Tuam|
|1768||Parliamentary elections for County Galway were closed down because of riots.|
|1775-1799||Edward Dillon, bishop of Kilmacdonaugh was transferred to Tuam and founded (Catholic) St. Jarlath College.|
|1777||John Ryder Archbishop of Tuam is killed at Nice, France after a fall from his horse|
|1790||Richard Power former M.P. from Tuam commits suicide and is found drowned at the mouth of the River Liffey in Dublin.|
|1795, 2 Feb||A partition to Parliament in London for a bill of General Emancipation for Catholic Clergy of Ireland is signed by Boetius Egan Archbishop of Tuam and 17 other Catholic bishops.|
|1800|| There were no more than 100 priest in the Diocese of Tuam. By 1968
with 30% less population there were 170 priests. Today less than 150 and 20% of
them are on "loan" from Missionary Societies.
|1814||The Seminary for Catholic priests at St. Jarlath is founded.|
|1825||It was stated before the House of Commons by Archbishop Kelly of Tuam, that only 18 places of Catholic worship had slated roofs in the diocese, while others had either thatch or in a wretched shape. Many public prayers were still held outside.|
|1831||The population of the Union of Tuam is 74,155 while the town is 14,381.|
|1836||The Catholic Cathedral of St. Mary, at Tuam is completed.|
|1839||The last Protestant Archbishop of Tuam, Power Le Poer Trench, dies.
This office is lowered to just a bishopric.
-19 Sept. this year, the Tuam Poor Union is formed with electoral districts.
|1840-1||The Tuam Workhouse is erected on a 6 acre site on the Dublin Road, half mile from town.|
|1842-15 August||Tuam Workhouse is declared fit for the reception of paupers|